Thursday 23 April 2015

University Artist Research

Hi All, I've been asked to write up about my favourite artists for Uni, so if any of them ever see this, I love your work and reading below will tell you why. If you're not one of the artists, feel free to have a wander through, because hey, it might inspire you too!

Anne Stokes


I'll start out this post by pointing out that I adore dragons of any kind. I like Anne Stokes work because of the attention to detail throughout all her themes. From dragons, angels and mermaids, to wolves and owls, her creatures and their accomplices are sublime. My favourite piece she's done is the fairy in the bottom left picture. I love the way she's caught the light so well in her wings and in the reflections in the pool, adding a sense of mysticism to the image.

I also like her steampunk flight woman (Bottom Right picture). The folds of cloth on the wings are done fantastically, and it looks like she could just leap off the edge and glide away, a feeling we've probably all had at one time or another.


Brian Froud


Brian Froud is one of my all time favourite artists. He's responsible for a lot of the concept art for my two favourite films: Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal (Top Picture). Although he looks nothing like his on screen counterpart (Played by David Bowie), the goblin king (Center Top) is my favourite portrait. Reminiscent of King Oberon of A Midsummer Nights Dream, the goblin king is the visual personification of mischief and magic. Striking a strong pose with a cane in one hand and his magical crystals in the other, Jareth is almost daring the viewer to come and try their luck in the Labyrinth. I like the addition of the playing cards, inferring that either he likes to gamble, or he's a bit of a joker. Personally, I think it's both.

I love Froud's other work too. His cheeky faeries, imps and nymphs are usually surrounded by tiny specs of light, which light the scene beautifully and add the air of magic and a certain mystical charm. Most of his tiny people have odd proportions and are quite innocent in stature and demeanor, making them both endearing and instantly likable.


Doug Williams and Guy Davis

Pacific Rim is one of my favourite recent films, just for the sheer diversity of the creatures. Based on, but not limited to, sea creatures, some of these creatures are the weirdest I've ever seen (Not including the pale man from Pans Labyrinth) as they had the opportunity to play with some of the weird and wonderful creatures of the deep. Williams and Davis work brilliantly to design the concepts for some of the films coolest creatures, thinking both artistically (what looks cool) and theoretically (how would it attack, bite, eat, walk, run, fly etc).


Steve Pilcher


Steve Pilcher was one of the artists working on Brave, as well as the production designer. I love the textural feel of his paintings. Even though cartoon they still feel like you could step right through into them and have an adventure. I also like the way he paints the skin on Merida and the young princes.

I think I prefer his black and white work more though. It manages to maintain the textural feel even though only black and white line drawings. My favourite is the large picture at the bottom because of the power in the stance, and concentration in her eyes.



No comments:

Post a Comment